21/22 The Word in the Wood #28

Posted on 9th April, 2022

U12 Boys are driving on towards their twin aims of promotion and the League Championship and travelled away to Southgate Dragons to play a key match against a team with similar ambitions.


2000 had a clear plan to play football and be patient but, this was disrupted when the hosts took the lead, however, the lads knew that by playing their passing game and remaining patient the chances would come. The Wood kept pushing and were rewarded when Evans drilled home the ball at the back post just before half time.


The Wood knew they had to remain calm, match their opponent's effort and the skill would shine through. It did exactly that in the second half, Parratt whipped in a great cross from a corner for the other full back Mill to finish with a sublime left footed volley. After quick thinking from Parratt to find Adoma in space, the Wood hotshot scored his 28th of the season to put the game to bed.


The cherry on the top came in the form of a well deserved goal for Staszewski who finished well from another Parratt corner for his 27th of the season, gaining MoM in what is becoming a virtuoso season!

All in all a very professional performance from the sqaud to get the job done. Their title bid is alive and kicking and they are up to second place with Alexandra Park South next up in the quest for glory!



U13 Boys faced a tough test at home to a physically imposing Hinton & Finchley Legends, currently sitting 2nd in the table. However, the boys are improving quickly themselves and went into the match with much self belief.


The game was played at a very high tempo with little time to dwell on the ball and tackles crashing in all over the park, concentration and focus were vital. Playing up the slope, the boys worked hard across the board to contest everything though were perhaps fortunate not to concede after slack marking from corners. Thereafter, sharp thinking from keeper Marshall saw him deliver a penetrating long ball. Oswald held off the away defenders well  to allow Sunkara to dash forward, riding a certain foul before hammering the ball into the net, sending the Wood in 1-0 at half time.


The second half started with a freak, extremely painful injury to Sunkara, who appeared to dislocate his thumb. He stayed incredibly calm and bravely went of to A&E, having left a big mark on the match nevertheless. Looking to continue the excellent work he'd inspired, his team-mates played on at a very high level indeed with the keeper and defence focused and solid, the midfield trident led by Captain Montgomery contesting everything, the strikers full of vim and the wingers in Song and Malcolm threatening and focused throughout, the latter securing MoM in his most complete performance yet.


The boys saw out the match, recording their second successive 1-0 win and seasoned Wood watchers concluded that this was certainly one of their best performances, ever. With further points to be won in the League and big summer tournaments to attend, these are very exciting times for a squad that is moving forward inexorably. 





U18 Girls took to the field far away against Sarratt Rebels in the Shield knowing only a win would be enough to propel them into the semi finals.


A fast start was required to quiet down the massed ranks of home support but, the girls found it difficult to find the energy to compete in the opening stanzas and it was left to the defence and keeper Hyman to repel countless Sarratt attacks and shots on goal.


In attack, chances began to arrive but, failed to find the net as the Wood were either caught offside or lacking composure. Fordham did break through to produce a fine effort after a super ball from Pickford; the Sarratt keeper saving smartly.


Captain & PoM Warren had seen enough and after exchanging passes with Makamian produced a sublime finish from distance that would have graced any pitch in the land, thus the Wood went in at half time with a precious lead but, knowing another lethargic start to the half could cost them dear.


However, as is so often the case with these girls when challenged, the squad went out and produced a vintage half of football, on the front foot from the off with desire and intent in abundance and it wasn't long before Branigan swooped to calmly slot home for her 3rd goal in two matches. With Rodrgiues and Tulloch dominating aerially and Hooda and Pickford raiding down the wings, the girls took the game to Sarratt and could have scored multiple further goals.


However, a seemingly innocuous moment with ten minutes left saw Sarratt secure a goal and there were some hairy moments in the closing moments before the ref blew up and the match was won. It was a great effort from one and all and the team extend their season with an exciting semi final opportunity to savour at the end of the month!