23/24 - The Word in the Wood #27

Posted on 23rd March, 2024

After going out the Challenge and League Cup quarter finals recently, our U15 Boys had a final chance for cup glory this season away to Whetstone Tigers in the Spring Cup, knowing either a win or draw would see them make the semi-final of this competition.


In an extraordinary intervention, the home ref refused to allow linesman for the match advising he didn’t need them as he could see just as well from his position in the centre of the pitch! However, the boys were not phased by this or the concession of a goal within 30 seconds of kick off after an attempted clearance fell to a Whetstone striker to sweep into the net from close range. Instead, they rolled up their sleeves and worked hard for each other, threatening Whetstone on the break and trying to stop the concession of a second goal. A strong penalty shout on Green was turned down by the ref, with other Wood efforts, lacking a little power, saved by the home keeper. In a blow to their ambitions, however, and with half time imminent, Whetstone’s big midfielder jumped highest to put them two up.


Second half saw the Wood rally and Marshall had very little to do in goal as wave after wave of Wood attacks broke on the Whetstone defence. Two strong shouts for handball were turned down by the ref before he deemed Boshjaku’s header had not crossed the line. The Wood pushed on regardless and the outstanding Da Silva pulled one back with a simply sublime piece of individual skill, flicking the ball over his marker before squeezing home at the near post.


The game was truly on but, try as they might, the Wood could not score the goal they needed to progress. Chance after chance came and went while the excellent Manning and Pop at the back kept Whetstone from countering. Da Silva fired just over late on before the match ended 2-1; the club’s last chance of silverware this season gone.


C’est la vie, but, all in all, the boys performed really well as conceding so early was a lift to our opponents and a blow to our own momentum. However, every mistake made is an opportunity to learn, and with application and concentration difficult moments are surmounted and consistency is gained thereafter. Two examples of just this are Silva and Marshall, who shared MoM today. After dropping his levels last week, Silva enjoyed a tremendous game showcasing all his immense football talents with the added bite he now has in the tackle. Meanwhile, Marshall, conceding efforts of late that he is well capable of saving, played the perfect match on a big occasion, confidently claiming crosses and displaying decision making of the highest order; in doing so, showing the huge potential he has to come.


The squad marches on with six big league games to come and many points to be won in the battle to retain their Red division status! First though, the boys can rest and enjoy Easter, knowing their manager is very proud of each and every one of them; our time will come.




Our U14 Boys moved up to second place in the Blue division with a solid performance against Hinton at Pursley after the game was switched.


Chen and Sheppard were in fine form scoring one goal apiece while Abisa was a model of consistency at the back, rightfully securing the MoM award. Next up are AFC Southgate away where the squad will be gunning for maximum points again!




Our U13 Boys played a top APB Wingate Raptors side at Pursley, but, with only 10 players available were really up against it. They really did give it everything but, the Raptors proved too strong on this occasion. Huge credit goes to the players and staff for having a right go.




On a sun-kissed and blustery day, our U9 Girls took to the pitch against Evergreen in a match brimming with excitement and Easter cheer. Led by the indomitable Captain Elsie, alongside her talented teammates Daisy, Juniper, Amber, Gracie, Olivia, Emilia, and Ruby, the stage was set for an unforgettable showdown.


Right from the kick-off, the pace was electric, with Juniper launching an early attack that narrowly missed its mark, setting the tone for an end-to-end battle. The ever-cool-headed Amber showcased her defensive prowess, making vital clearances and keeping the opposition at bay.


However, it was Captain Elsie who truly stole the show, unleashing a flurry of goals that left Evergreen shell-shocked. With two blistering shots finding the back of the net, Elsie's tally quickly climbed to an impressive four goals, sending waves of excitement through the Borehamwood supporters.


Emilia dazzled with her footwork, weaving through the midfield and delivering crunching tackles, while the introduction of Ruby and Daisy injected fresh energy into the game. Daisy’s pinpoint crosses emulated Beckham-esque precision, setting up opportunities for her teammates to shine.


As the match progressed into the third quarter, Evergreen refused to back down. Gracie, now in the thick of the action, showcased her goalkeeping prowess, while Amber provided vital support with her relentless tracking back.


The physicality of the game only fuelled the Wood’s determination, with Ruby making one of her finest solo runs taking on three Evergreen players and setting up Juniper to power home her second goal. The final quarter saw the team maintain their energy levels, with Oliver stepping up admirably in goalkeeping duties, making cat like, heroic saves and using her footballing brain to read Evergreen’s play of attack. Gracie demonstrating her versatility outfield, and proved that she is not only brilliant with her hands, but a skilful player with her feet.


Daisy’s accurate passes continued to carve open opportunities, while Emilia left Evergreen defenders in a spin with her mesmerising footwork. Juniper’s hat-trick goal ricocheted off the post, but it was Captain Elsie who emerged as the undisputed hero of the match, her sixth goal securing her a well-deserved Player of the Match accolade and sealing victory for Borehamwood. As the final whistle blew, the pitch was alive with the sights and sounds of victory, showcasing the incredible team spirit, unselfish play, and the unwavering grit of this formidable unit!


With big smiles all around, the team heads into the Easter break with hearts full of joy and memories to cherish, proving that with determination and teamwork, anything is possible.




A very depleted U13 girls travelled away this morning to table topping Hertford town, down to our last eight fit outfield players and our two excellent GKs, a small miracle was needed to get something from the trip. With two of the eight - Skipper Amie and striker Hazel - carrying knocks coming into the game the girls were up against it.


Hertford started quickly and had our defence under early pressure with our rock Abi throwing herself into last ditch tackles with Ava and Theaya equally as determined and steadfast. Emily the starting GK was busy too as was the midfield of Annie, Amie, Karadonna & Hazel. The Hertford pressure was telling though and with fast breaks from midfield they isolated our defence, and with numbers played through us to take the lead 1-0.


Our girls are made of stern stuff and full of the bulldog spirit and they came fighting back with No9 Gabby causing mayhem with her pace and direct running, Hertford sometimes having to put 2 players on her. It was end to end stuff and the girls clawed back the early Hertford dominance to come in one down at half time and with a definite foothold in the game.


Hertford boasted a full compliment of 15 players and had the luxury of regularly changing their line-up to bring on fresh legs, and it must be said that with every change Hertford made their skill and tenacity levels never dropped. Gabby was back on for Imani who made only her second tentative appearance of the season after serious injury at the end of the first half. Gabby made the Hertford keeper pull of an amazing stop after beating two players and unleashing a drive at goal that Alessia Russo would have been proud of!


The next goal was key and the Hertford girls managed to beat our amazing GK Riss with a low drive that somehow squirmed through us today. The team was tiring now both physically and emotionally and with no respite in sight they had to just bite down on their gumshields, roll their sleeves up and fight for every blade of grass which they did to the very best that their tired bodies would let them today. Hertford scored a 3rd after a great diving save from Riss, that we couldn’t clear away.


Emily came back into the fray in goal after clearing her head from a first half blow and she made two great saves from marauding Hertford attacks with Abi again making last ditch tackles as she fought for her team. Ava took a knock to the ankle blocking up the right side of defence and Theaya kept the door shut down our left. Annie was running her socks off helping her partner Amie out who was by now operating on one leg but still didn’t give up the fight. Kara, Hazel and Gabby all tried to get us up the pitch and stay there and drew another fine save from the Hertford GK after what looked like a definite goal.


The game was to take a painful twist for the team as Hertford scored a fourth of the day with a rasping drive from a free kick outside the area. The day finished 4-0 to the home team but our girls never once waved the white flag; exhausted and bruised they push onwards to the next battle still with fire in their bellies and hearts full of pride. We as coaches are so proud of this group of young women who keep on performing wonders in the face of no end of problems that this season has thrown at them!